Warning: The following recipe is not vegan. It is not gluten free. It is not even remotely healthy. However, it is delicious and addictive. So, if you are not limited by the above dietary restrictions, give this recipe a try.
It was, once again, adapted from the Moosewood Cookbook.
- Butter and flour for the pan
- 1 pound of butter (this is why it’s called pound cake)
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour the bottom and sides of a 10-inch bundt pan or tube. Be generous so that the cake doesn’t stick.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer at high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the milk and vanilla.
- Add dry and wet alternately to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with dry. Mix by hand.
- Add chocolate chips to batter and mix in thoroughly.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 60 – 70 minutes, or until a sharp knife inserted all the way down comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn it out onto a plate.
- Let it cool a little more before serving.
This is a big cake, so be prepared to share it with friends. Or, if you really want, you can enjoy it all by yourself.
- Laura ‘16