I think my favorite kitchen appliance is probably the toaster oven. There is so much you can do with it and it never takes long. You can toast pumpkin seeds, or croissants, or even bake cookies. Perhaps the best use for a toaster oven is toasting open-faced sandwiches.
This sandwich is very simple but also very tasty. It doesn’t use meat, but it is nevertheless very satisfying.
- One slice of bread for each sandwich you want to make (Baguette, country white, or sourdough work best)
- Granny smith apples (I used large apples and only needed about a quarter of an apple per sandwich)
- Brie cheese
- Slice the apples very thinly, until you have enough to cover all the slices of bread.
- Arrange the apples so that they cover the top of the bread more or less completely.
- Slice the Brie thinly.
- Arrange it on the sandwich over the apples.
- Place the sandwiches on a sheet of tin foil and toast in the toaster oven until cheese is melted.
- Remove and enjoy with a side of garden salad or taboule.
This sandwich is still good if you don’t toast it, but you will miss out on the warm melty cheese, slightly crunchy bread, and sweetened half-baked apples.
- Laura ’16